Saturday 4 April 2020

Happy Endings

There is so much I could say about this book. Started it on the way to work. Tried my hardest not to laugh but eventually, I just couldn't hold it in. Miles is hilarious. Havoc also hilarious. The side characters are colourful and well thought out. Backstories are dropped in non drag me down ways. I have a thing about italics so for that reason any flashbacks were hard for me to read but good all the same. Basically I loved this book.

What made this book sing beyond the humor was the main plot. As the blurb states 15 people drop dead at one time and Miles, whose real name I refuse to type because I won't do him like that even though he's fictional, is literally the only one who can help. It goes through the type of set up and hints/plot devices that I expect from a good suspense novel. Keeps you guessing. Trying to figure out which character is the villain or if the villain will even be exposed in this book. Is there a traitor amongst them or something much more deadly. 

Secondly, there's Havoc, the demon bound to him who does everything except save his life and is only interested in bedding women, human or supernatural. The way their one-liners and interactions fall off of each other is a delight to read. Hilarious at it's worst and just rediculous at its best. I'd be lying if I said I didn't laugh a lot reading this.

The pacing was spot on. People die, the police enlist a reluctant mage, the opening scene was pure hilarity. Mage helps, and clues connected to his past start to rise as they dig deeper into the puzzle of why a dead occult is leaving symbols on the 15 people who dropped dead at the same time. Especially when they were destroyed hundreds of years ago. Each new death and attack dredges up a dark past that could be leading to a truth that makes this mystery more and more dangerous than the leading characters thought. It's a puzzle that fits nicely together and keeps the reading wanting to know the why as much as the who.

This story is filled with werewolves, witches, mages forest spirits and all sorts of supernatural beings coming together to figure out what is coming before it's too late to save everyone. There are a few adult scenes M/M so if that's not your thing this isn't for you. A fair bit of adult humour, a certain minotaur comes to mind. And a bit of accidentally but on purpose setting demons on fire just because one can.

My biggest take away from this book was the fact that the romantic angle happing was just something that ran its course with the murder mystery and investigation into mysterious magical happenings taking the front line of importance. Which is as it should be.

If you like fantasy, comedy, murder and suspense, with a splash of doublecross and a healthy sprinkle of erotic moments, this book more than delivers. The minotaur was by far my favourite character and I really hope the angle with him and the detective gets it's pay off. Fingers crossed. Definitely, even though my suspected villain was the villain *pats self on back* I couldn't know that for sure so this book wins. Five stars easy in a M/M genre that all too often focuses on that aspect more than the plot which this story, thankfully, did not do.

No comments:

Post a Comment