Sunday 2 August 2020

How To Vex A Vampire

How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes Book 1) by [Alice Winters]
This was an okay book. It started off well but as I kept on reading it became more about just finding out what was going on then actually digging deep into the characters. 


Finn starts out alright. I'm here for the snark. I only picked this book up because I liked 'happy endings' so much. The problem here was that it wasn't always funny. Sometimes it just seemed unnecessary. And the secret that Finn was keeping about why he wanted to join the vampire unit never set well with me. I couldn't help agreeing with everyone that he could get killed. 

Marcus dark brooding, not a fan of the human. What's not to love. I sorta liked him but I missed the point where he started to like Finn. It was like pesky human, oh you're amazing. I went along for the ride because it was entertaining but I didn't really get into it.

The reason behind the murders in didn't live up to my expectations either. It was what I assumed and a part of me was hoping it was something much deeper. And I'd be lying if I didn't say the only reason I started book two was because I didn't get enough info about the secret stalker in this book. And also I was hoping the side office romance would pay off. Not so much about reading more about the main characters.

Most importantly Finn is very human. I kept reading hoping on some level he'd be stronger or faster or something that could make me believe he can survive in a vampires hunting vampires kind of world. I was even on board with his injuries. The problem is they slow him down and he isn't exceptional. It's hard to suspend the belief that he's capable when he's just as ordinary, maybe not exactly the same but almost, as your typical human. Everyone is right about him being out there hunting Vampires. If his leg malfunctions or his tranq gun, he's essentially easy prey.

That's what it comes down to for me I guess. I don't think Finn was realistic about his situation with the stalker and his humanness. Though the book was funny at times, and the side characters were very enjoyable, it didn't have the same spark or fitness of 'happy endings'. Even the quirky erotic scenes didn't jump off the page as much.

I finished this book because it was enjoyable enough. It was a good light read but it was hard to connect or take Finn seriously so the book ended up being just okay instead of amazing. I'll probably read more from this author because I like her humour but if the second part of this isn't better I won't be reading more of this series.

No comments:

Post a Comment