Friday 10 July 2020

Catching Orion

Catching Orion by [Sloane Kennedy]
I didn't really enjoy this. I found it a bit tedious. It started of well but it went from somewhat passable beginnings into absurdity way to fast.

Firstly I can almost suspend belief to jump into the fantasy of deception, but only almost. Knox's uncle enter's him in a dating site raffle unknown to him and he wins. after winning his uncle confesses.  This isn't too bad. The problem is in order for Ryan, (his name is Orion and I spelt it wrong before editing because he's called Ryan in the book so Oryan was the most logical leap. Maybe I'm just weird but... yeah lol).

Back to the point, the problem is that for Ryan to also win he'd have to have a online profile as well. This brings to question who set up his profile, and why didn't they do like Frank and tell him he'd won. Instead they pretend to be him and give up personal information, name of his cat favourite movies and so on, for all they know Knox could've been stalking the site for his next victim to add to his backyard garden. I couldn't get on board with that kinda deception. It was too much.

Secondly I came into this book expecting a blind date story full of hilarious moments as they journeyed to find eachother leading to a nice happy HEA. What I got was an entire middle section of book, so a third maybe more, that involved Knox's great uncle and his partner, apologising and monologuing, with some exposition and whatnot that derailed the focus. It was supposed to be funny, but two older men posing naked with hardened anatomy for an art class knowing that their nephew would be there is too far of a stretch to suspend reality for. I couldn't find it funny or believe neither of them would know how wrong this was. I especially didn't expect it to get so much page time. It wasn't until 80 percent that this second section of the book finished, leaving us only 20 percent, just a fifth of the book for the relationship to do it's due. Not nearly enough time.

I read this book twice. The first time I struggled through the art scene but managed to finish the book. The second time I read to refresh my brain and I skimmed so much of it by the time I got out of the art scene I had to quit. DNF. I had read so little of it that it didn't make sense going on. I would've quit the first time too but managed not to. Sad thing is I can't remember the end. My only take away is this lengthy middle section that I didn't want to read and knew was meant to be hilarious but instead came across as too absurd to take seriously and it took away from the focus of the book. Knox and Ryan's romance. To be fair I was bored a bit before so by the time it got to this section I was reading, the first time, so fast because I was only interested in the main characters story arch.

This book didn't, for me, deliver on what I'd expect from a blind date set up. It chose to take the too far out there formula angle for these types of stories but it didn't work. Leaving me as the reader feeling it was too far out there instead of out-right insane comedic brilliance. This story didn't lift of the pages and I couldn't connect with it. The uncle part def one-starred this story but I do remember enjoying the ending a bit even though I can't actually remember it and couldn't get to it the second time round so I'll bump it up to two starts but unbelievable beginnings plus a nonworking middle section undid what might've been a great insta-love story.

No comments:

Post a Comment