Sunday 19 July 2020

The Kinsey Scale

The Kinsey Scale: A College M/M Friends To Lovers Romance (Campus Connections Book 1) by [CJane Elliott]
This story was too slow for me. I couldn't finish it. I pushed to about halfway but then gave up. My problem was the whole slow burn and used tropes. It started to lose me when Eric decided he needed a fake boyfriend to seem unavailable or not a loser to a straight guy. I dunno I guess I'm over the whole fake boyfriend/girlfriend thing when it's used this way. It's been done so many times before and this one was not only with an ex but an ex who was seeing someone if I recall. Next it was the girlfriend back home. The girl these 'not so straight guys' always have so the gay love interest can validate why he could never have him because you know, girlfriend back home. In this instance it seemed like Eric was the only one talking about said girlfriend and not Will. This made it even harder to get into this plotline.

It was just obvious that Will was indeed bicurious or even straight-up gay and as the pages went on it got frustrating instead of intriguing how long Eric would take to see this. I officially quit when his ex, the one he's pretending to be boyfriends with, flat out told him drunk Will did nothing but talk about him and mentioned that the girlfriend did not exist and he still was like nah. Not only does he not like me, he's totally straight. There's only so much evidence combined with denial I can go along with and half a book was too much. 

I skimmed a few chapters to find, and I hope I'm wrong, the first real instance of the Kinsey scale. Something about Will being a three. And this is the title of the book. I only skimmed to see how long it took before Eric came to his senses and even then it ended with Will not wanting to talk about it and nothing coming of it.

This book is obviously a slow burn but the burn hinges on a character outrightly ignoring signs or intentionally creating situations to go against said signs to drag along the burn and it was frustrating to read. How naive or stubborn can a person be? 

If slow burns are your thing and you're willing to buy into someone being as clueless as Eric for half a book even when his closest friend and ex flat out tells him he's wrong then this book will work. It's sweet, fun at some points. There may even be a few laughs. But it was way too slow for me and I've read enough books and seen enough movies that hinge on someone who isn't too stupid to see the signs somehow missing them, or blatantly ignoring them even when the other characters point out said evidence, to join it again for this story. And definitely enough of the fake partner stuff and this story didn't bring a new angle to the fake boyfriend/girlfriend trope. All in all, this was too slow and too familiar for me to get into it which is a shame cause roommates to lovers is always a fun ride when it works.

No comments:

Post a Comment